The second series of the Morris Minor was introduced in 1952, four years after the first series made its debut at the Earls Court Motor Show in London. Following the success of the initial versions of the car, a 2 and 4-door saloon and a 2-door convertible, Morris Motors introduced an estate, pick-up and van model to the lineup. The Morris Minor Series II is distinguished from earlier and later versions, still retaining the split-windscreen and cheese-grater grille of the Morris Minor MM, but with the front headlights raised on the front-wings, a feature which was carried over to the subsequent Morris Minor 1000. After only four years of production the Series II was replace by the 1000 series and would remain in production until 1971.
Launched in autumn 1948, the Morris Minor was initially available as a saloon or tourer (convertible) variant. The car, designed by Alec Issigonis, combined a modern design and good road handling, all available at an affordable price of £358 10s 7d.
At the time British industry was slowly returning to peacetime production, but Government controls on raw materials restricted their availability primarily to companies that exported the majority of their products, so raising important foreign revenue for Britain.
Changes to the design of the MM series were made for the North American export market. Most notably the headlights were raised to a higher position on the front wings. This change was carried across to all markets with the Series II. The Series II retained the split windscreen of the MM, but carried an 803cc overhead valve petrol engine.
Introduced for the first time as a Series II variant, the pickup and van models were light commercial vehicle variants of the Morris Minor. They were just as popular with large organisations, such the General Post Office, as they were with small companies and sole traders.