The Morris Minor was developed after the Second World War. It was unveiled to the public at London's Earls Court Motor Show in 1948. It was the star of the show and attracted great attention, at a time when Britain was still recovering from the social and economic consequences of the Second World War. The Minor combined a modern design and good road handling, at an affordable price. Initially produced as a two-door model, Morris also produced a 4-door, convertible, estate, pick-up and van variants. The Morris Minor MM is distinguished by its split-windscreen and "low-lights" either side of the grille, lights that were raised to the front-wings on later models. The Minor remains popular to this day and is affectionately nicknamed the "Moggie".
During the Second World War a small team at Morris Motors were working on a new small car. Led by Alec Issigonis the team produced a two-door prototype called the Mosquito. Alongside wartime projects the team worked on improvements to the Mosquito.
Originally Issigonis wanted to use an innovative water-cooled engine. For practical and financial reasons a revised, older side-valve engine was used. The first production model was made on 20 September 1948. The Minor was produced as saloon and tourer (convertible) variants. The Minor cost £358 10s 7d at launch which made it affordable to a wide market.
Export sales were high and demand exceeded supply. Issigonis revised the design, raising the headlights, to meet new legislation in North America. New variants were introduced, a 4-door saloon in 1950, an estate 'Traveller', van and pick-up in 1953. This made the Morris Minor one of the most versatile models for sale in post-war Britain.
Over 250,000 Morris Minor MM examples were produced before the Series II was introduced in 1952. Production continued until 1956 with 269,838 examples manufactured.